Neil Moss

#1252462 /

Neil Moss is a former English goalkeeper who was born in New Milton on 10th May 1975. Moss began his career at Bournemouth in 1992, and signed professional forms a year later. He made 29 appearances for the Cherries up until his 1995 departure.

Moss signed for Southampton in December 1995 for £250,000. He was behind Dave Beasant and Bruce Grobbelaar in the pecking order during 1995/96, but became second choice when Grobbelaar departed in August 1996. Moss made his Saints debut on 4th September in a 2-2 home draw with Nottingham Forest. He made four further appearances between the sticks during 1996/97, keeping two clean sheets. Moss had a two month spell on loan at Division 2 outfit Gillingham at the start of 1997/98.

Moss received a few opportunities during the latter part of the 1998/99 campaign. The former Bournemouth stopper generally acquitted himself well, and played a role in Southampton's great escape in the absence of Paul Jones. Moss appeared 9 times during 1999/2000 to decidedly mixed results. He gifted Leicester a 2-1 win at the Dell on April 29th when he smashed his clearance straight into the path of an onrushing Muzzy Izzet. He redeemed himself a week later with an impressive clean sheet against Liverpool at Anfield. Moss was in goal for Saints' amazing 3-3 comeback draw with Liverpool on 26th August 2000. He made his two final appearances for the club at the end of the 2001/02 campaign. His last match was a 3-1 win over Newcastle at St Marys on 11th May 2002. The August 2002 arrival of Antti Niemi spelt the end for Moss. He was released in January 2003.

Moss rejoined Bournemouth in early 2003, having spent the previous few months on loan at Dean Court. He helped the club win a Division 3 promotion through the play-offs in his first season back. He was a virtual ever present over the next two years as the Cherries achieved respectable top 10 finishes in the third tier. Moss's 2005/06 season was severely interrupted by injury. He appeared more frequently the next term, but suffered more fitness issues during 2007/08 as Bournemouth dropped back down to League 2. His final appearance came in a 2-0 home defeat to MK Dons in the Football League Trophy on 13th November 2007. Moss announced his retirement in July 2008 due to a long standing wrist injury.

In 2007 Moss and Robbie Yates set up a goalkeeping coaching company called 'Between the sticks.' The programme was based in Poole/Bournemouth and offered specialist goalkeeping for children and adults of all ages.

In 2009/10 Moss rejoined Bournemouth as goalkeeping coach.