Marcus Hall

#1914221 /

Marcus Hall is a former English left back who was born in Coventry on 24th March 1976. He signed for his hometown club in 1992 before making his first team debut in 1994. By 1995/96 Hall was a regular for The Sky Blues under manager Ron Atkinson. He enjoyed a successfull spell the following campaign as Atkinson was replaced by Gordon Strachan. Hall was an intelligent defender who was also capable of causing problems going forward. He featured for England U21s during the late 1990s, scoring at both ends in a 4-2 win over Greece in 1997.

By 1997/98 Hall had made the left back spot his own at Highfield Road. He helped Coventry to a respectable 11th place finish, scoring goals in thumping wins over Everton and Tottenham. Hall appeared with less frequency during 1998/99 and 1999/2000, partly due to injury. He was a regular during 2000/01 as Coventry were relegated from the top flight for the first time in 34 years. Hall remained at the club for another year, but could do nothing to help the club bounce back to the Premier League.

Hall joined Nottingham Forest on a free transfer in August 2002. He made his debut against Portsmouth on the opening day of the season, but failed to make another appearance for the club. He left the City Ground at the end of August 2002 to link up with his former Coventry boss Gordon Strachan at Southampton. Hall was brought in as cover for Wayne Bridge, but failed to make a single first team appearance in his three month spell at St Mary's. He played in a reserve match against Fulham on October 29th 2002, putting in a nightmare showing. Hall left the club before the year was out. If he had stayed another month he would have surely seen some playing time, with Wayne Bridge suffering an injury in January 2003. Instead veteran Francis Benali made a brief comeback.

In December 2002 Hall joined Stoke on a free transfer. Ironically his debut for The Potters came against former club Coventry (The Sky Blues ran out 2-1 winners). He helped The Britannia Stadium outfit narrowly avoid relegation from Division One that season. The following campaign Hall often ran into trouble with referees. He was sent off three times over the course of the 2003/04 season.

Hall started 2004/05 well, netting a goal in a 1-0 win over Derby on 30th August 2004. On 21st February 2005 he re-signed with Coventry on a free transfer, just two days after playing his final match for Stoke. Hall was a reliable performer for the club over the next few years, although he was hit with fitness problems during 2008. He was granted a testimonial against Everton on 2nd August 2009. Hall featured just 8 times in his final season at The Ricoh Arena in 2009/10, before being released.

Hall had a one year spell with League 2 side Northampton in 2010/11. He has since retired from playing professionally.