Lee Barnanrd

#107952372 / gettyimages.com

Lee Barnard is an English striker who was born in Romford on 18th July 1984. He began his career at Tottenham Hotspur. Barnard made his senior football debut whilst on loan at Exeter on November 2nd 2002 in a 3-0 win against Boston. He scored his first ever goal in a loan spell at Conference side Stevenage the following season on April 17th 2004 in a match against Shrewsbury. Barnard was sent to Leyton Orient and Northampton during the 2004/05 season, but failed to score for either club.

After performing well for Tottenham's reserve side during the 2005/06 season, Barnard was promoted to the senior squad and made his Spurs debut on April 17th replacing Aaron Lennon in a 2-1 home defeat to Manchester United. He played a further two matches for Tottenham that season, including 'lasagne-gate' on the final day at West Ham, where Barnard was one of 10 Spurs players to be struck down with a virus. Tottenham lost the match as a result, which meant Arsenal qualified for the Champions League at their expense after they beat Wigan.

Barnard would not play another first team game for Spurs after that, and spent the 2006/07 season in the reserves at White Hart Lane. He had a loan spell at Crewe starting in September 2007, where he managed 3 goals from 10 matches.

Barnard finally moved away from Tottenham for good in January 2008 when he signed for Southend. He made a great start at Roots Hall, scoring 9 in his first 18 games. His debut goal for The Shrimpers came against Yorkshire giants Leeds. He also scored against former clubs Crewe, Leyton Orient and Northampton. Barnard continued his prolific goal scoring form in his next 18 months, and scored 17 goals in the first half of the 2009/10 season for Southend.

Southampton took Barnard to St Marys on 22nd January 2010 for an undisclosed fee. Matt Patterson moved in the other direction and joined Southend as part of the deal. Barnard made a slow start to his Southampton career and failed to score in his first month at the club. Things improved on February 20th though, when he scored both of Southampton's goals in an impressive 2-0 win at league leaders Norwich. Barnard hit another double the following week against Walsall and established himself as a regular starter and key player for The Saints. He grabbed a dramatic last minute goal against Yeovil in April, which briefly kept the clubs play-off hopes alive.

Nobody could fault Lee Barnard's work rate and application at the start of the 2010/11 season. The striker was one of the clubs top performers, but was unlucky to have just 1 goal from his first 7 appearances. He stupidly got himself sent off after a poor challenge in the depressing Johnstone's Paint Trophy 1st round home defeat to Swindon on August 31st. He made amends on his return however when he scored the clubs first goal in 6 matches at Sheffield Wednesday, which gave new boss Nigel Adkins his first win.

Barnard was arrested in connection with an assault that took place in the early hours on October 3rd 2010 in The Whitehouse nightclub in Southampton. Barnard was one of four men questioned by police, after approximately 20 people were involved in a fight. Barnard was given on the spot bail due to an injury to his hand, which needed hospital treatment.

Back on the pitch, Saints fans rallied around Barnard who bagged goals against Notts County and Dagenham shortly after his arrest. He found himself on the bench by the end of 2010 however, after Guly's tremendous run of form. He proved to be a useful sub though, coming off the bench to score against Oldham and Exeter. After Guly suffered an injury in February Barnard became a regular starter again. He scored the first in Saints 3-1 win at promotion rivals Bournemouth in March. April started off brilliantly too, with goals in wins over MK Dons, Charlton and Leyton Orient. On 16th April however, Barnard was ruled out for the rest of the season after suffering an ankle injury in a 1-0 win over Bristol Rovers.

In July 2011 Barnard signed a new contract with Southampton, keeping him at the club until 2014. He spent the first few months of the 2011/12 season on the sidelines, making his first competitive appearance from the bench against Crystal Palace on October 25th 2011. Barnard made a few more sporadic appearances throughout 2011/12, but never looked anything like a capable Championship player. In fact, you barely even noticed him the few times he ventured onto the field. Barnard was cleared of assault in April 2012.

Barnard joined Bournemouth on loan until January 2013 on 18th August 2012. He scored on his Cherries debut at Fratton Park of all places, taking great delight in his celebrations having received a predictable 'scumming'. Barnard netted three more goals for the League 1 club, but also missed a penalty in a shocking display against Portsmouth in the Football League Trophy. He slipped down the pecking order at Dean Court before returning to Southampton at the end of the year. He played in the opening U21 Elite Group game against Liverpool in January 2013 but didn't really do himself justice. Barnard joined Oldham on loan at the end of January 2013. He played against Everton in the FA Cup and helped the club in their fight for League 1 survival, scoring three goals.