Kevin Miller

#1106624 /

Kevin Miller is a former English goalkeeper who was born in Falmouth, Cornwall on 15th March 1969. Miller began his professional career with Exeter City in 1989, signing from Newquay at the age of 20. After four successful years at St James Park, he earned himself a move to Division One outfit with Birmingham in a £250,000 deal. Miller spent just a single season at St Andrews, leaving for Watford in 1994 following Blues relegation. He enjoyed a fine spell at Vicarage Road and was named player of the season twice in three years.

Miller joined Crystal Palace on 12th June 1997 for £1,250,000 plus Chris Day. He made his Palace debut on 9th August 1997 in a 2-1 win at Everton. Miller was an ever present at Selhurst Park in 1997/98, and performed fairly well despite the clubs relegation from the Premiership. His second season with the club was surrounded by controversy however. Palace were in financial ruin and unable to pay some of the players, including Miller. As a result the former Exeter stopper went on strike. Miller also put in an awful display against QPR on the final day of the 1998/99 season, conceding six goals. Many Palace fans accused him of not trying that day, given his disputes with the club. As a result Miller always received an extremely hostile reception whenever he returned to Selhurst Park with other teams.

On 25th August 1999 Miller signed for Barnsley. He helped the Tykes reach the 1999/2000 Division One play-off final, which they lost out to Ipswich in a 4-2 thriller. Miller was at Oakwell until 2002, when Barnsley were relegated to Division Two. He returned to Exeter for the 2002/03, and was an ever present in The Grecians side which was relegated to the Conference. It was the fifth time Miller had been relegated in his career. The former Palace man then spent two years with Bristol Rovers, and helped the club win promotion from League Two in 2005. He was absent at The Memorial Ground for the final months of 2004/05 however, as he was on loan at Derby. Miller was brought in by Rams boss George Burley to deputise for Lee Camp.

Miller was reunited with Burley in early 2006 when the keeper signed a deal with Southampton. He was initially drafted in as cover for Paul Smith after Bartosz Bialkowski injured himself in an FA Cup tie at Newcastle. After some poor performances from Smith however, Miller made a surprise comeback and was the clubs starting keeper in the final few weeks of 2005/06. Miller made his debut on 28th March 2006 in a 1-1 draw at Burnley. The former Watford keeper was a solid performer between the sticks at the St Marys club and helped the club finish the campaign well.

In July 2006 Miller dropped an easy catch in a pre season matchup with Eastleigh, allowing the Spitfires an unlikely goal in a 2-1 victory. He was Southamptonís third choice keeper during 2006/07 following the arrival of Kelvin Davis and return fitness of Bialkowski. In January 2007 Miller joined Torquay on loan for two months. He was released by Southampton in May 2007.

After leaving Saints Miller kept busy playing in non-league, having last been seen playing for Bodmin Town.