John Beresford

#1202673 /

John Beresford is a former English left-back who was born in Sheffield on 4th September 1966. Beresford's father (also named John) was also a footballer, having started his career at Southampton, before moving on to Notts County and Chesterfield. The younger Beresford started his career at Manchester City, but failed to force his way into the first team before joining Barnsley in 1986. Beresford had three successful years at Oakwell, establishing himself as a bright young talent. In 1989 he moved down south to join Portsmouth. Beresford developed his talent even further with Pompey. He helped the Fratton Park club to the semi-finals of the FA Cup in 1992. Unfortunately for Beresford, he missed the decisive penalty at Villa Park against Liverpool on 13th April, which meant Portsmouth missed out on a place in the final.

Beresford was due to join Liverpool in the summer of 1992, but the move broke down because the player failed a medical. He eventually signed for Kevin Keegan's Newcastle. It was in the North East that Beresford really made a name for himself as a fine attacking left back. He was part of the team that was famously nicknamed 'The entertainers'. Beresford famously told Keegan to 'fuck off' when the Toon boss told him to track back and defend. The former Barnsley man helped Newcastle win Division 1 at a canter in 1992/93. The following campaign Newcastle finished 3rd in the Premiership, with Beresford impressing again. He remained a regular the following term, and in 1995/96, when Newcastle came within a whisker of winning the title. He was at the forefront of many good attacking displays from the team, although his defensive capabilities were sometimes called into question. In 1997/98 Beresford scored a few rare goals, including a last minute equaliser in a 3-3 draw with Leicester. He also netted in the Champions League against Dynamo Kiev on 1st October 1997.

Beresford made his final Newcastle appearance against Stevenage in the FA Cup on 4th February 1998. Three days later he lined up for new club Southampton in a famous 3-2 win at Liverpool. Beresford enjoyed a good run of form under Dave Jones at The Dell, helping Saints to wins over Leeds and former club Newcastle.

Unfortunately Beresford suffered a bad injury on 16th August 1998 in the 2-1 opening day defeat to Liverpool. He was ruled out for most of the 1998/99 season, and was never the same player again. He did make a playing comeback on 24th April 1999, in a 0-0 draw at Derby, before participating in wins over Wimbledon and Everton. He made a cameo appearance in the 7th August 1999 win over Coventry, but suffered niggling injuries throughout 1999/2000. He was loaned to Birmingham in October 1999, but made just a single appearance in a defeat to Walsall before returning to the Dell. Beresford endured a miserable return to St James' park on 16th January 2000, a rare outing in a 5-0 defeat. His played his final match for Saints on 22nd January 2000, a 2-0 win over Everton.

Beresford had a brief foray into non-league following his Southampton departure, representing the Ossett Town, Alfreton and Halifax before hanging up his boots.