Danny Butterfield

#142629245 / gettyimages.com

Danny Butterfield is an English footballer who predominately operates as a right back. He was born on November 21st 1979 in Boston and has also played in midfield. Butterfield started his career at Grimsby and made his first team debut for the club on 9th September 1997 against York. He went on to play 10 further matches for The Mariners during the 1997/98 season, and scored his first ever goal against Hull in a Football League Trophy match, a competition which Grimsby went on to win.

Butterfield was limited to just 14 first team appearances during Grimsby's 1998/99 season in Division One. The following campaign however, he established himself as regular at Blundell Park. He featured 124 times in total for the club until his 2002 departure. The high point of Butterfield's time at Grimsby came during his final season at the club on October 9th 2001, where he lined up at Anfield in a shock 2-1 League Cup win against Liverpool. Butterfield put in a superb performance and cleared an Emile Heskey header off the line when the score stood at 0-0.

Butterfield joined Crystal Palace in the summer of 2002, and was an ever present for The Eagles in his first campaign. He scored his first Palace goal on November 3rd that season against Ipswich. Butterfield missed just one match the following season for a Palace side that reached the Premiership. He scored Palace's 2nd goal against Sunderland in the first leg of the play-off semi final. He also played the first 69 minutes Palace's play-off final victory at The Millennium Stadium against West Ham.

Unfortunately Butterfield found his opportunities limited for Palace in the Premiership as fellow right back Emmerson Boyce was brought in from Luton. He only played 7 times during the 2004/05 season. Palace were relegated after just one top flight campaign, but Butterfield continued to play second fiddle to Boyce during 2005/06. When Boyce moved to the Premiership with Wigan in 2006 though, Butterfield regained his starting place for the Selhurst Park club.

Butterfield featured regularly for Palace over the next few years. That was until 2009, when he was loaned to Championship strugglers Charlton. Butterfield played 12 times for The Addicks, but failed to stop them from being relegated to League 1. At that stage it looked like his Palace career might be over, but the full back returned to the club the following season and re-established himself as first choice right back. He became a cult hero at Selhurst Park after lining up as a make shift striker in an FA Cup tie against Wolves, and scoring a hatrick. He finally left Palace in the summer of 2010 after making a total of 232 appearances for the South Norwood based club.

Butterfield joined Southampton on a free transfer shortly after he had left Crystal Palace in July 2010. He signed a one year deal, and was the second right back to move to the club during that summer, with Frazer Richardson also signing with the St Marys club. Due to Richardson sustaining an injury in pre season, Butterfield started the 2010/11 campaign as first choice right back, making his debut on the opening day against Plymouth. He made a solid start at Saints, but lost his place in October when Richardson returned. Butterfield regained his starting place after Richardson hit a rough patch of form in January. He returned for the FA Cup tie against Manchester United, and put in a very assured performance against the Premiership giants. His experience was vital for Saints, and he rarely put a foot wrong during his run in the team in the later part of the season. He was automatically given a one year extension to his contract in May 2011.

Butterfield played second fiddle to Frazer Richardson for much of 2011/12. He took part in Carling Cup matches early on, but looked well below his best. Butterfield shone in his first league outing of the season against Middlesbrough on 29th October. He put in a number of accurate deep crosses on to the head of Guly Do Prado and Rickie Lambert, helping Saints to a 3-0 win. Unfortunately for Butterfield he would receive very few opportunities in the months that followed. He also suffered a series of minor injuries, which ruled him out in early 2012 when Richardson was also absent. On 17th February 2012 Butterfield signed a contract extension until 2013. He celebrated with a solid showing against Watford on 25th February. Butterfield returned to the side in late March and remained a regular until Saints won promotion on 28th April.

Butterfield took part in a couple of friendlies in the summer of 2012, before dropping down to the development squad following the arrival of Nathaniel Clyne. He put in some reasonable displays for the U21s. Butterfield appeared just twice for the senior squad against Stevenage and Leeds in the League Cup. He looked rusty on both occasions. He linked up with his former Crystal Palace teammate Dougie Freedman in March 2013 for a brief loan stint at Bolton. Butterfield enjoyed a decent run of games, with Wanderers narrowly missing out on a play-off spot. He left Saints in June 2013 after his contract expired.

Butterfield had a brieft stint with League One strugglers Carlisle in August 2013, lining up in a 1-1 draw against Colchester and a 5-2 cup defeat to Leicester. Following the conclusion of his temporary contract he returned south. Butterfield signed a deal with League Two outfit Exeter in September 2013.