Calum Davenport

#52074774 /

Calum Davenport is an English centre back who was born in Bedford on 1st January 1983. Davenport began his career at Coventry, and was thought of as an extremely bright prospect from an early age. He made his Sky Blues debut on 19th May 2001 in a 0-0 draw with Bradford, with Coventry already relegated from the Premiership. He made just three appearances the following Division One campaign, with the Highfield Road outfit spending big in a failed attempt to get back to the top flight. Davenport became a regular during 2002/03, and did well enough to win the club's young player of the year award. He scored his first professional goal in a 2-1 win at Reading on 17th August 2002. Davenport had a fine 2003/04 season and was once again one of Coventry's star men.

Davenport started 2004/05 with Coventry, but just before the August transfer deadline he signed for Tottenham as part of the North London clubs youth recruitment drive. He was immediately loaned out to West Ham however, who were in the same division as his most recent former club. Davenport had a decent two month spell at Upton Park, before returning to Tottenham to make his Premiership debut in a 1-0 defeat at Aston Villa on November 22nd 2004. That was the only match he played for Spurs that season. In January 2005 he joined Harry Redknapp's Southampton for the remainder of the campaign. He made his debut against Fulham in a 3-3 draw on 5th January, putting in a reasonable display. Davenport performed fairly well against the likes of Liverpool and Portsmouth later that month, but after failing to stop Marcus Bent scoring a last minute equaliser against Everton on 6th February 2005 the former Coventry man fell out of favour at St Marys, and featured mainly on the bench from that point on. He made his first league appearance for weeks as a substitute on 16th April, but put in a disastrous showing as Saints somehow contrived to blow a 2-0 half-time lead to lose 3-2 to Aston Villa. He played just once more after that, on the final day of the season against Manchester United as the club were relegated. It's fair to Davenport's time on the South Coast was a complete disaster. Redknapp had clearly not done enough research on the player prior to the deal, as he gave up on him just weeks after his arrival.

Early into 2005/06 Davenport joined Norwich, who had just been relegated to the Championship alongside Southampton. His three months at Carrow Road included a red card in a 4-2 defeat at Luton and a goal in a 2-2 draw at former club Coventry. He returned to Tottenham at the end of the year, but spent months without seeing any playing time. His first Spurs appearance of the season came on 15th April 2006 at Everton. Davenport made a surprise start in a 2-1 defeat to Manchester United at White Hart Lane two days later, and made a further two appearances before the end of the season.

Davenport featured sporadically for Spurs during the opening half of the 2006/07 season. His performances were mostly passable. On 17th December 2006 he scored in a 2-1 win at Manchester City. Davenport joined West Ham for 3,000,000, but struggled for form as the Hammers desperately battled to avoid relegation. Ironically his last appearance of the campaign came on 4th March 2007 against Tottenham, and match which West Ham lost 4-3, despite being 3-2 up with a minute to go. The Hammers would improve in Davenport's absence and stay up on the final day of the season following a Carlos Tevez inspired good late run of form.

After months in the reserves at Upton Park, Davenport joined Watford on loan in January 2008. He made his debut for The Hornets on January 19th, but suffered a fracture to a bone in his neck just 45 minutes in, which forced the club to cancel his loan. He returned to West Ham for the start of 2008/09 and made a few appearances here and there before joining Sunderland on loan in February 2009. Davenport was initially used as cover, but received an extended run out in the side from late March.

On 22nd August 2009 Davenport and his mother were stabbed at her Bedfordshire home. Davenport lost 50% of the blood from his body after being stabbed in the leg, and had to undergo emergency surgery. The same day 25 year old Worrell Whitehurst was arrested in connection with the assault. In October 2009 Davenport returned to West Ham for light training. However, in January 2010 his wages were suspended, with the club alleging breach of contract, after he was allegedly involved in an assault on his sister. Davenport was accused on head-butting Cara Davenport and biting her cheek, before calling her 'a form of cancer' after discovering she was pregnant for the second time. When Whitehurst saw the mark on Cara Davenport's face, he grabbed a knife and said "I'm going to make sure he never plays football again." Davenport was eventually cleared of the attack on his sister, while Worrell Whitehurst was jailed for six years.

Davenport trained with Nottingham Forest during 2010/11 pre-season. He then joined Leeds on trial in August 2010. Both parties failed to agree a deal however and Davenport instead joined local side Wootton Blue Cross in an attempt to regain his fitness.